These badge requirements were updated on 26 January 2018. The previous badge requirements can still be used until 31 January 2019, to allow for transition where necessary.
- Show how to use and take care of tools safely. Do this for a selection of them, like a hammer, saw, screwdriver, drill or glue gun.
- Talk to your leader about how to work safely on your projects, especially when you’re using electric tools.
- Learn what the difference is between hard wood, soft wood, chipboard, plywood and MDF. For each of them, find out what they’re best used for.
Help design and make something useful. An adult needs to supervise you. Show that you’re able to:
- measure accurately
- join pieces of wood together in two different ways
- use a hammer, screwdriver and drill
- prepare surfaces and stain, varnish or paint
Your projects for number 4 might include:
- nesting box
- window box
- pencil box
- key rack
- mug tree
- coat rack