Before you attempt this badge you need to have made at least four trips underground, with a properly authorised party, to two different cave systems and kept a log. If you hold the Scout Caver activity badge you don’t need to complete these four trips.
- Explain how caves are formed.
- Rig and use ladder pitch under supervision.
- Take two additional caving trips as part of a properly authorised party. These should include supervised descent of vertical pitches.
- Know the cave conservation code and talk about measures that can be taken to promote conservation of formations and the cave environment.
- Study an aspect of speleology and discuss the findings. Agree your chosen subject with your leader first – it could cover subjects like the fauna and flora in caves, cave photography or bat conservation.
You must follow the activity rules in chapter nine of Policy, Organisation and Rules and the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme.