- Identify at least eight common types of tree that grow in your area, including both deciduous and coniferous.
- Find out how to identify trees using identification keys.
- Prepare the soil and successfully transplant a young tree.
- Find out how both natural woodland and commercial forests are managed. Be aware of the damage these areas may be exposed to from wind, frost, fire and animals.
- Show how to select, use and care for forestry equipment, and know the safety issues involved.
- Show how to fell and trim out a tree or lay a hedge.
You must be trained by a skilled person and understand the correct use of axes and saws. You must also be supervised by an adult at all times.
Young people must be trained by a skilled person and understand the correct use of axes and saws. They must also be supervised by an adult at all times.