If you’ve qualified for the 2 Star Navigation Challenge certificate, you can automatically earn this badge.
Otherwise, here’s what you need to do to earn this badge.
- Learn about the map colours and common symbols used on an orienteering map.
- Orientate a map using either terrain or a compass. Learn how to navigate while keeping the map set to the ground. ‘Thumb’ the map to log your changing position.
- Complete three courses at orienteering events recognised by British Orienteering or another similar standard.
- Show you know the safety procedures, basic first aid, appropriate clothing and equipment for countryside navigation.
- Show that you know the Countryside Code.