Sailing – stage 1
- Identify different types of sailing crafts.
- Name three places you could safely go sailing.
- Take part in a warm up activity to prepare you for a sailing activity. You could try tacking and gybing, hiking out or syncro-jump to cross the boat together in a tack or gybe.
- Dress properly for a sailing activity, showing you know the importance of buoyancy aids and how to put one on correctly.
Take part in a taster session that covers:
- being able to name equipment used and parts of the boat
- getting into and out of a boat safely
- balancing a boat
- manoeuvring your boat in different directions, including moving forward.
If you have achieved the RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stage 1 you can automatically gain this badge.
You can complete most of these steps without actually being on the water, although it’s best to complete them as part of a sailing activity.
This is a lot more fun, and will give you a head start when you start working towards Stage 2.
Sailing – stage 2
Before you attempt Stage 2, you need to have completed all the steps for Sailing Stage 1. You then need to complete all the tasks outlined.
- Launch and recover your dinghy.
- Control the direction and speed of your dinghy to steer around a course.
- Stop your dinghy safely.
- Capsize and get to the shore safely and recover the dinghy.
- Show you can moor your dinghy.
If you have achieved the RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stage 2 you can automatically gain this badge.
Sailing – stage 3
Before you attempt Stage 3, you need to have completed all the steps for Sailing Stage 2.
You then need to complete all the tasks outlined, ideally in a different boat to Stage 2.
If you’re using a keelboat, you don’t have to complete steps 1-3.
- Prepare, launch and recover your boat in an onshore wind.
- Show the correct way to store your boat ashore.
- Show you can right a capsized dinghy as helm or crew.
- Show you know how to recover a man overboard.
Demonstrate an ability in:
- sail setting
- course made good
- taking upwind
- gybing from a training run
- coming alongside a moored boat
- picking up a mooring.
- Learn how a sail works and its basic aerodynamics.
- When sailing, show you can understand and use basic terminology, such as windward, leeward, and bear away.
If you have achieved The Scout Association Personal Activity Permit for Dinghy Sailing or hold the RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stage 3 you can automatically gain this badge.
Sailing – stage 4
- Launch and recover your boat in any wind direction.
- Set up your boat according to weather conditions, using sail and rig
- Show that you’re able to recover a man overboard.
Show that you know about:
- International Regulations for Preventing Collision at Sea (IRPCS)
- Beaufort Scale
- synoptic charts
- tidal ebb and flow
- spring and neap tides.
If you hold the RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stage 4 you can automatically gain this badge.